Monday, June 23, 2008

Successful Saturday

saturday i had a reading for my new full-length play. i'm very fortunate to have a friend who regularly opens his home to afternoon readings and believes strongly in supporting and encouraging local artists.

i'd say there were about 25-30 individuals for the reading... this may include the actors.

i confess to some quibbles with the reading itself... too slow for my taste. a larger display of emotion than i intended for my characters... and a shocking lack of emphasis on the humor in the play.

but overall....the reading went well and the audience was responsive.

i had several people stop me at intermission and provide a list of theatres where i must submit the piece or how well they thought the dialogue and the play were constructed.

one gentleman couldn't believe how polished the play was... (i didn't have the heart to tell him i considered it a very rough first draft that (despite the first 14 pages) only took me four days to write.)

but i've had this play in my head for eight years... cutting characters, adding characters. reworking scenes and plot. i went back and looked at dialogue i had outlined years ago and now deemed too emotional. too sentimental.

i tried hard to steer clear of my usual pitfall of melodrama. (although one person complained at the lack of a "twist" - honestly, i don't understand writers' need for a twist - this is meant as a character study... a look at a relationship. i don't need faye dunaway slapped around: "my sister! my daughter! my daughter! my sister!")

my lack of knowledge regarding cancer became apparent and i wish i had not let my director talk me into keeping the cancer named in the play. as the line was read i scribbled down the phrase "cut the specific cancer." a couple of people confirmed my instinct.

i also realize this is the weakest part of the play... is the cancer treatment i outlined too generic? is it too obvious? too cliche'?

but during the talkback after the reading... i realized i had connected with the audience. i had accomplished several of the things i had set out to do. one audience member gave me the ultimate compliment: i had made her think.

cast members were asking me to "up the ages" of characters so that they could play them "when" (not "if") it was produced and everyone wanted to know where it would go next.

my friends were so supportive and provided some of the best feedback of the afternoon.

it was just a marvelous day for me.... the opportunity to once again hear my words performed in front of an audience and the ability to spend time with good friends, discuss theatre and art and have some good wine...

someday... i hope most days can be spent like this.

just a good day.

i'll keep you posted..... i can't wait to start the rewrites.

and for those wondering: yes, i do have plans for this piece.

e.

No comments: