Thursday, June 19, 2008

Mid-Night Creep Fest

so last night i was in the midst of an actual good night's sleep. when, suddenly, at about 3:15-3:30.... i hear somebody wailing. high-pitched, dreamlike wailing.

someone was calling out "help me" and "leave me alone."

at first - i thought i was dreaming.... it was all so creepy and surreal. "heeeelp me. heeeelp me." the cries themselves were dreamlike.

then i suddenly realized i wasn't sleeping.

i got up to see what was going on... ready to call 9-1-1 and maybe, possibly, run outside to assist.

i looked out all my windows - couldn't see anything.

three windows in the bedroom. two windows in the dining room... nothing (which made it all the more creepy).

finally i saw some guy rush out of nowhere calling after someone... "where are you going?"

but i never saw the woman. only an abandoned pillow in the middle of the road.

which is all just a bit too 1960's french cinema for me...

it reminded me of a new years eve several years back where i was walking around the gayborhood sometime after 2am looking for another friend who was drunker than i... i heard parties in the distance and creeping out of the surrounding houses... and i came across a half-deflated, forgotten balloon bobbing down the middle of the street. i passed and grabbed the string of the balloon, absently trailing the sad little orb behind me.... stopping off to talk with street hustlers and other new years revelers along the way.

looking back, it too felt very 1960's french cinema....

anyway.... it took about an hour and half to fall back to sleep... i was a little creeped out by the non-existent wailer and never fell back into a good sleep after that.

so i wake up this morning...exhausted. and i'm fasting for bloodwork until 9:30am.... arriving at work shortly after 8am, my thermos of lola savannah spring trifle coffee mocking me as it stands before me on my desk. (you can't drink coffee while you're fasting, right?)

god, i'm tired....

e.

p.s. this morning... the discarded pillow lay neglected on the side of the road. twas not a dream, my lovelies.

No comments: