Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Eyes Still Adjusting to Bright Internet Light

it's been a long time, my lovelies. and, unfortunately, this post will be quick.

it is day 12 of no lights for your beloved politico. luckily, i can pop on and off the internets here at work. but work beckons, so the post must be quick.

hurricane ike came roaring through houston much stronger than i ever anticipated. it's been rough going through some of it. but i'm determined to come out of the other side in one piece.

my sanity has been tested..... my brain cells are running on low. my patience and my nerves are shot to shit.

so much just doesn't make sense right now.

for example: EVERYONE around me appears to have lights...

the new building directly across the street from me never lost power... so for 12 days it's bright lights have been shining at me. mocking me.

day two....lights on the other side of the main street behind my house were on.

day three....i saw lights in the distance.

every day i hear more and more people who have regained power. but not me. not sister epiphenita and the lovely barbara. not steven.

at first i thought, perhaps, we were being punished by some non-existent god for all those potshots enita and i have enjoyed taking at her over the years.

but steven is a good, god-fearing christian. so that theory was blown to hell.

my reason (fuckin' reason) tells me it's the downed tree just a few doors down that is resting precariously on some electrical lines. plus those other lines that no longer seem connected to the poles from whence they came.

so all i can do is keep my sweaty fingers crossed and mutter to myself: "any day now. any day now."

anyway.... once i have power and internet back at the homestead, i plan a whole elaborate series entitled "hurricane horrors." ooooooh! aren't you simply intrigued?

oh... and have i mentioned that i've missed 12 days of political coverage?!? did you know that sarah palin's email was hacked? did you know she was conducting official government business via a yahoo! account. big no-no, sarah.

and this friday is the first debate! unless mccain's latest political ploy to gain votes pays off. he's suspended campaigning and asked for the debate to be postponed until we can figure out the current economic crisis.

nice of the republicans to finally join the party, ain't it? haven't the dems been screaming for something to happen for over a year?

oh....and i've missed the beginning of the fall television season.

now, i don't like to think i have an addiction to television... but goddammit... my ugly betty and grey's anatomy premier this thursday (i.e. tomorrow)! or, as i like to call it, day 13.

day 13. lucky day 13.....?

your's in misery & heat exhaustion,

e.

p.s. the chatter about the neighborhood says friday for lights. day 14 for lights... in other words: two weeks.

No comments: